Snowy Stowe, Vermont, is widely regarded as one of North America’s top 10 ski destinations, thanks in part to towering Mount Mansfield’s 485-acre, 116-run landscape. Stowe remains a quintessential winter escape for New Englanders in desperate need of some backcountry exploration, festive romance, and sophisticated lodging. There’s no better place to relax, unwind, and play than Edson Hill, an idyllic boutique hotel along Stowe’s peaceful northern rim. Edson Hill itself boasts a well-groomed Nordic ski trail system, private snowshoeing acreage, a culinary hub, and even a tranquil spa. Start planning your next well-deserved Vermont winter getaway by reading through our comprehensive list of essential Stowe activities and attractions (as seen below).
A Green Mountain Escapade: 15 Wintertime Pursuits in Stowe
Outdoor enthusiasts, hygge devotees, and casual travelers alike flock to Stowe during winter’s hearth, as this idyllic mountain town has it all: sleigh rides, a Hallmark-esque ice skating village, a world-famous alpine ski mountain, and even one of the country’s most beloved craft breweries. It should come as no surprise that most Northern Vermont winter vacations run through Stowe. We highly recommend bookmarking this article, as it includes links to many of the region’s finest outdoor outfitters. Without further ado, here are 15 classic Vermont winter activities, many of which are offered right here at historic Edson Hill.
- Carve down Mount Mansfield on a skiing or snowboarding expedition.
- Embark on a Nordic skiing adventure at the Craftsbury Outdoor Center, on the Stowe Recreation Path, or through Mount Mansfield’s 45-kilometer Cross Country Ski Center. Edson Hill also boasts its own nine-kilometer Nordic ski trail system.
- Snowshoe through the backcountry inside Wiessner Woods, Kirchner Woods, or, yes, right here at Edson Hill.
- Explore the snowy, hilly topography on a dog sledding excursion led by Peace Pups or Umiak Outdoor Outfitters.
- Sled through the dense forestry on a state-of-the-art snowmobile. Guided tours are available at SnowmobileVermont.com.
- Try ice fishing with help from the guys and gals at Catamount Fishing Adventures or The Fly Rod Shop.
- Go ice skating at the magical Spruce Peak Village.
- Kick-start a self-guided Stowe area brewery tour (or take advantage of our Four Points craft beer package).
- Do something incredibly daring, such as an ice climbing trip led by Sunrise Mountain Guides.
- Enjoy a relaxing, undeniably romantic sleigh ride ushered by a couple of Gentle Giants.
- Rent a sled or saucer at Shaw’s General Store and find a hill to race down.
- Pedal through pristine countryside terrains near Stowe and Waterbury on a fat biking tour, or give it a try at Edson Hill. Trail access is included in your guest room stay, and fat bike rentals are available on-site.
- Soar through the wilderness on an Arbortrek zip line canopy tour.
- Rejuvenate with a bevy of ultra-relaxing spa treatments inside Edson Hill’s Massage Suite.
- Embark on a culinary voyage across the Seven Seas of flavor at Edson Hill’s tavern, fireside.
Edson Hill, the Ultimate Vermont Winter Getaway
Start and finish each glorious snow-packed day at Edson Hill’s 38-acre estate. Acquiring some much-needed tranquility at Edson Hill is as natural as a Green Mountain sunset. As mentioned above, we boast a casual yet sophisticated dining experience, an on-site spa, and an Outdoor Center. However, we’re best known for our Gauthier-Stacy interior designs, such as Life Is Now (as pictured), Que Sera Sera, and Let It Be.
To book a well-deserved Northern Vermont winter vacation, please click the Book Now button (or call us directly at 802-253-7371).